Friday, July 8, 2011

Oh Henry's

recipe from my Mom
This recipe was a favorite in our house when I was growing up. It is very simple and perfect for a potluck or neighbor treats (if you can bring yourself to share.)  Although I am not a huge butterscotch fan by itself, when combined with the chocolate chips, it adds a creamy texture and subtle difference in the taste of the chocolate topping that is a-mazing!  Enjoy!

1 c sugar
1 c Karo syrup
1 c peanut butter (I like to use chunky so that you get a little bit of nuttiness)
1 c salted nuts (optional)  I usually don't add these, so that is why I use chunky peanut butter
3 c Rice Krispies
6 oz chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet because this is already a very sweet dessert)
6 oz butterscotch chips

In a medium saucepan, bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add peanut butter and stir to combine. (I use the same measuring cup that I used for the corn syrup to measure the peanut butter because it helps the peanut butter to just slip right out.)  Add the nuts (if desired) and the cereal.  Mix well.  Spread mixture into a 9x13 pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  

Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a double-boiler. If you don't have a double boiler, you can boil water in a medium saucepan and place a smaller saucepan inside the medium one  to melt the chips.  

Pour chocolate sauce over the Rice Krispie mixture and spread evenly.  Set aside to cool.  When cooled completely, cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment