Recipe from Our Best Bites
1. Begin preparing your dough (See pizza dough recipe) Complete steps through the first rise.
Breadsticks & Pizza Dough
1 1/2 c warm (105-115 degrees) water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 1/2 c flour
In a large bowl (the bowl of your mixer, if you have one), combine water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.
Add salt and stir. Add 1 1/2 c flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3-4 cups, depending on your elevation and humidity) until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger.
Spray a glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl. Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
2. While your dough is rising, prepare your sauce.
1 6 oz can tomato paste
6 oz water (just use the empty tomato paste can)
3 Tbsp garlic bread seasoning*
1 Tbsp sugar or honey
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
Empty tomato paste into a bowl and add water a few tablespoons at a time, stirring constantly until combined. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine and allow to stand until ready to use. Covers two average-sized pizzas; Freezes extremely well.
* Garlic Bread Seasoning
Combine the following ingredients:
1/2 c powdered Parmesan cheese
2 tsp Kosher salt
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
2 tsp marjoram
2 tsp parsley
3. Preheat your oven (and your pizza stone, if you want) to 425 degrees. (I don't have a pizza stone, I just use round pizza pan and this recipe still works great!) While oven is heating, punch down dough and shape into a disc. Spray your work surface, rolling pin, and pizza stone (or pan) with non-stick cooking spray. Place dough disc onto work surface. Roll and shape into a circle. Very gently transfer the dough onto your pizza stone (or pan) and continue to shape up to the edges of the stone.
4. Using a fork, prick several holes in the crust. Drizzle crust with a little olive oil... and brush all the way up to the edges. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Both oiling and salting the crust help crisp it up, give it a great flavor, and keep it from getting soggy in the middle.
5. Bake crust in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
6. Spread layer of sauce over the surface of the crust. Top with whatever toppings you like. Add layer of cheese and then sprinkle with oregano.
7. Return crust to oven and bake 10-12 minutes more or until cheese is melty and crust is golden brown.