Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Judy's Sugar Cookies with Glace Icing

sugar cookie recipe from my Mom, Glace Icing recipe from Our Best Bites

I love Halloween!  I love Fall!  And ever since I can remember, my Mom would make these darling sugar cookies around Halloween. We would use chocolate chips to make the Jack O' Lantern faces, but I wanted to try making them with the Glace Icing that the gals from Our Best Bites have posted on their website.  It was so fun and easy!  The thing I love about the glace icing is how cute the cookies turn out. They look more like bakery cookies and less like cookies I have made with my toddler!  I was so proud of how these turned out. ** Be sure to go over to the Glace Icing tutorial at Our Best Bites to see how you use different consistencies of icing for covering the cookie and for piping.  I also love how after you let the icing set, you can stack them without worrying about sticking, so it makes them perfect for giving away as cute little treats for the neighbors.... has anyone else been "BOOED"  lately? So here are the recipes!  I hope you enjoy them.  Happy Halloween! :)


Judy's Sugar Cookies
* this recipe makes approximately 68 cookies

2 cups butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
7 cups flour
6 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer.  Add eggs, vanilla, almond extract and mix.  Then add baking powder, and flour a cup at a time to reach desired consistency.  Dough can be stored in refrigerator or used immediately.  Roll out to approximately 1/4 inch thickness and cut into desired shapes.  Bake on greased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes, then place cookies on cooling rack until completely cool.

Glace Icing

1 lb. powdered sugar (3 3/4 cups)
6 Tbsp whole milk
6 tbsp light corn syrup 
1 tsp extract (for our Halloween cookies my Mom always used Anise extract which gives the icing a black licorice flavor. I LOVE it, my husband hates it.  You can use vanilla or almond extract, whatever you prefer.)

With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth.  Then stir in corn syrup and extract. You will use this same recipe for both glazing and piping. Thickened, you can pipe outlines, and as you thin it, you can use it for “flooding” cookies.  Make sure to let them dry overnight to fully harden for stacking. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Shay! They were so fun to do. Do you remember making these when you guys came to visit me in Logan? Good times. Love ya!

      Delete