Thursday, September 1, 2011

Zucchini Bread or Cake

recipe from my Mom
There are so many wonderful recipes for zucchini bread and cake out there.  I'm not claiming this one to be superior to any... it's just the one my Mom gave me and I like it.  It is more of the spice cake zucchini bread variety than the chocolate zucchini bread recipe that is also out there.   If my husband could, he would have me add chocolate chips every time I make this bread, but I do like just the bread in all its delicious spicy glory sometimes.  This recipe can be used to make bread, or it is also delicious as a cake frosted with cream cheese frosting as well.  

**Makes 2 loaves or a 9x13 cake

1 c granulated sugar
1 c brown sugar (packed)
1 c canola oil
3 eggs
2 c grated zucchini
3 tsp vanilla
3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c nuts (if desired)

In a mixer, beat sugars, oil, and eggs until fluffy.  Stir in zucchini and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients and combine.  Pour batter into 2 bread pans or a 9x13 baking dish  and bake at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Check center of loaf with a toothpick at about 45 minutes.  If toothpick comes out clean, bread is done.  I have found that loaves take closer to the hour time and a 9x13 cake takes closer to 45 minutes to finish baking.  

*I have also played around with this recipe to try to make it a little more friendly on the hips and here is a variation I have had success with.

3/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c applesauce
3 eggs
2 c grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
2 c white flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder

Same process as above.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Found this by googling zucchini bread in a 9x13 pan. This was the perfect recipe! People raved about it. I made an oat streusel topping to make it extra fun. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete